We all need privacy but some how there are those who will try to exploit one’s privacy. Whatever the reason behind your desire to hide your files, whether you are a teenager who has some photos you want to keep private from your parents or have some files you want to keep away from your spouse. There are many programs available in market that can be used to ease up our task of hiding our data under password but paying for those applications is out of the reach for many… Now here is a step by step tutorial by which you can hide your private photos or videos without using any third party software. Don’t worry there are no registry tweaks involved in the mentioned process so there is no danger that you will end up loosing your data.
This tutorial is categorized in three different sub topics:
- Hiding the data away from the reach of others.
- How to view your private data.
- Unveiling the data leaving no trace in your computer that will lead you in trouble.
Please note :- you must be have the administrative privilege in the upcoming steps:
Step 1 :-Hiding your data:
- Gathering your file :- Cut and paste all your files to any location on your hard disk under a separate folder.
- Renaming your file :- In this step we will batch rename your files to any random name that is very difficult for one to put as a search string all you need to do is to select all files by ctrl+a press f2 and them rename the first file for eg “XYZZY.XYX” (Dont use the quotes).
- Renaming the folder :- Renaming the folder is not renaming it to a name but we make the folder with out any name (Just a space ) by ASCII code … All you need to do is to select the folder —> Press F2 —-> when you are prompt to type in the new name of the folder just type 0160 pressing down the alt key… For laptop users you need to turn on the num-lock and press the function button.
- Hiding the folder :- Now open the command prompt ( for Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8 users please run as admin) navigate to the parent folder of the folder which contain your files. I have assumed that my folder is in the c: (” Please note that where ever i use ‘$’ sign replace it by a space when you execute the commands.)
Run this in the command line: c:attrib +h +s +r c:’$’
- The folder is gone :- you will notice that the folder is no longer visible. some special characteristics of the folder are.
- It can not be deleted.
- Being a system folder now its excluded from the search result.
Step 2 :-Now moving on to running the files :
- Open the run dialog box and type in the your directory’s full name . eg :- c:’$’.
- The directory will pop open.
- Select the file and open it with the associated application with the open with dialog box.
Step 3 :- Leaving No Trace:
- As we all know that the files you open are saved as a link in the resent folder, we need to permanently delete all the files, run the following:
In XP: %sysfolder/Documents and Settings$USER$Recent
Vista & 7, 8 : %sysfolder/Users$USER$AppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsRecent
Step 4 :-Unveiling the files :
- All you need to do is to type a single line in the command prompt:
c:attrib -h -s -r c:’$’
These steps may look a little tough but believe me when you do it once it will get a lot easier.
I have tried to make the tutorial as simple as possible for any question or problems please use the comment section.